Organization: Program for Appropriate Technology in Health
Country: Viet Nam
Closing date: 30 Jun 2016
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations—that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health. Working in Vietnam since the early 1980s, PATH established a permanent office in Hanoi in 1997 and an office in Ho Chi Minh City in 2014.
PATH seeks a local consultant in Vietnam to provide technical support for Field Epidemiology Training Program Component of a new, 5-year project aimed at building strong national capacity in health information systems, disease surveillance systems (both indicator-based and event-based surveillance systems), and workforce development focusing on the Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) in Vietnam. These activities aim to achieve specific goals in three focus areas of the Global Health Security Agenda including: i) preventing avoidable epidemics; ii) detecting threats early; and iii) responding to outbreaks rapidly and effectively. The FETP Consultant will work closely with the General Department of Preventive Medicine (GDPM), Ministry of Health (MOH), US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Vietnam, and PATH to coordinate, facilitate, and implement the day-to-day activities of the project. This is a 12-month, full-time consulting contract beginning on the date of hire with the possibility of extension.
II. Specific responsibilities of the consultant
The consultant will be based at GDPM under supervision and direction of the GDPM leaders and PATH Project Director. Specific responsibilities include:
The consultant will be paid directly by PATH’s office in Vietnam. The consultant fee will be paid monthly upon PATH’s receipt and approval of the deliverables and after GDPM leaders certify the duration and quality of the consultant’s work.
· Excellent written and spoken Vietnamese and English.
· Advanced skills in data analysis, interpretation of epidemiological data, and writing of scientific material and manuscripts, as well as excellent presentation skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team. Willingness and ability to travel within Vietnam up to 30 percent per year.
· Master level, and PhD is preferred, in medicine or epidemiology/public health or related field.
· Good knowledge on research methodology, data analysis and bio statistics.
· Good knowledge of Epi-Info, and one of the following: SPSS, SAS, STATA, GIS.
· Extensive experience with mentoring/supervising fellows and students on projects and field work.
· Experience working effectively with Vietnamese government counterparts at both national and regional level.
· Five years of experience working in preventive medicine area or epidemiology and outbreak control and prevention. Experience in teaching and training in applied epidemiology and surveillance a plus. Work experience in FETP would be an asset.
How to apply:
Please apply directly through the PATH website at: http://bit.ly/1TXTPcO