Organization: American Bar Association
Country: Viet Nam
Closing date: 01 Oct 2018
ABA ROLI is seeking a Program Director to be based in Hanoi, Vietnam to oversee an anticipated program focused on criminal trial advocacy, increasing the knowledge and skills of judges, prosecutors and defense lawyers relating to the more adversarial elements in the Criminal Procedure Code, and developing the capacity of universities to train law students in trial advocacy skills. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the Vietnamese legal system; experience engaging with justice sector actors and the legal profession in Vietnam; proven ability to deliver skills-based training; and experience managing the implementation of donor-funded programs, ideally U.S. Government-funded projects. ABA ROLI will prioritize candidates who have practiced law and have had exposure to established adversarial legal systems. S/he will work closely with ABA ROLI’s Washington, DC office.
The initial program duration is 2 years, with potential for extension, and is currently anticipated to commence in August/September 2019.
- Responsible for day-to-day management of assigned programs and ensures that all programmatic requirements are being met/exceeded according to the ABA, ROLI, and grantor requirements;
- Maintains accountability for all timely, accurate, and compliant in-country programmatic monitoring and evaluation;
- Oversees and is accountable for the development and deployment of substantive programming and activities, including, but not limited to, project work plans, managing volunteer legal specialists and consultants, and convening, organizing, and participating in training opportunities within the host country;
- Establishes and enhances effective collaboration and relationships with local entities and other development partners to fulfill program objectives within cost constraints and garner additional funding from partners;
- Maintains proactive communications with ABA ROLI leadership to ensure timely and accurate updates on program activities, achievements, and shortcomings. Creates and implements corrective plans to improve performance against appropriate standards in areas where program shortcomings are identified;
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned;
- Collaborates with ABA ROLI headquarters and local authorities to ensure that all programs and operations are compliant with local laws and regulations and, if required, have received all regulatory licensing/registrations prior to offering the program;
- Ensures compliance with all donor, ABA, US and Vietnamese laws/regulations while managing the program(s); ensures personal and program compliance with applicable anti-corruption laws;
- Assists in program design and the development of proposals in collaboration with Washington, DC office and other the field staff;
- Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, feedback, performance appraisal, and, where appropriate, applies corrective actions to an assigned team (if applicable);
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Law degree.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Understanding of the Vietnamese legal system.
- Experience engaging at a high level across the legal profession and justice sector.
- Demonstrated success in building and maintaining close productive working relationships with government and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct skills-based training.
- Fluency in Vietnamese and English.
- Ability to travel within Vietnam.
- Experience practicing law.
- Exposure to established adversarial legal systems.
- Experience delivering skills-based training in Vietnam.
- Experience in the management and implementation of donor-funded programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
*Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.*
How to apply:
Please submit a CV and cover letter on our website here.